Famous Author Special Offerings
John Steinbeck was born in Salinas, California in 1902. He attended but did not graduate from Stanford University (1920-1926). While writing, Steinbeck took odd jobs, he worked as a painter, caretaker, watchman, surveyor and fruit picker.
Working as a watchman of a house in High Sierra, Steinbeck wrote his first novel, Cup of Gold (1929). He received a $250 advance from his publisher.
Steinbeck was married three times. His son John had problems in later years with drugs and alcohol and died in 1991.
Steinbeck was a natural storyteller and was able to capture the feelings of working people who were the central characters of his most important novels. John Steinbeck received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1962. He is best remembered for The Grapes of Wrath (1939). In 1943 Steinbeck moved to New York City and spent his summers in Sag Harbor.
John Steinbeck died of a heart attack on Dec.20, 1968.
The Grapes of Wrath $4750
The Viking Press,1939
An attractive copy, some minor creasing, jacket slightly toned with some wear. First edition tab present. A key social work from one of America's greatest writers and cultural figures. Forced from their home, the Joad family is lured to California to find work. Instead they find disillusionment, exploitation, and hunger. Pulitzer Prize winner.
East of Eden $950
The Viking Press,1952
First edition in very good condition. Steinbeck's powerful book, made into a film starring James Dean.
John Steinbeck List of Novels
- Cup of Gold (1929)
- The Pastures Of Heaven (1932)
- To God Unknown (1933)
- Tortilla Flat (1935)
- In Dubious Battle (1936)
- Saint Kathy The Virgin (1936)
- Nothing So Monstrous (1936)
- Of Mice And Men (1937)
- The Red Pony (1937)
- Their Blood Is Strong (1938)
- The Long Valley (1938)
- The Grapes Of Wrath (1939)
- A Letter To The Friends Of Democracy (1940)
- The Sea Of Cortez (1941)
- The Forgotten Village (1941)
- Bombs Away ! (1942)
- The Moon Is Down (1942)
- How Edith Mcgillicuddy Met R.L.S. (1943)
- Steinbeck (1943)
- Cannery Row (1945)
- The Wayward Bus (1947)
- The Pearl (1947)
- A Russian Journal (1948)
- Burning Bright (1950)
- East Of Eden (1952)
- Short Novels (1953)
- Sweet Thursday (1954)
- The Short Reign Of Pippin IV (1957)
- Once There Was A War (1958)
- The Winter Of Discontent (1962)
- Letters To Alicia (1965)
- America And Americans (1966)
- Journal Of A Novel (1969)
- Steinbeck: A Life In Letters (1975)
- The Acts Of King Arthur And His Noble Knights (1976)
- The Collected Poems Of Amnesia Glasscock (1976)
- John Steinbeck, 1902-1968 (1977)
- Letters To Elizabeth (1978)
- The Short Novels Of Steinbeck (1981)
- The Harvest Gypsies (1988)
- Working Days (1989)
Call 727-200-2713 and ask for Steve V.